Maternity Reflexology is a deeply relaxing treatment for the Mam-to-Be to prepare for the birth of her baby. It is a safe treatment to use during pregnancy to promote relaxation, healing and good health. During pregnancy, many hormonal changes are occurring within the body causing imbalances which can lead to a wide range of physiological symptoms emerging. Reflexology works by stimulating the reflexes on the feet to alleviate these symptoms or prevent them occurring in the first place.
What can reflexology do for mams-to-be?
Regular reflexology can alleviate some of the following conditions in the body during pregnancy:
- Reduced Morning Sickness, Relieve Heartburn, Indigestion and Constipation
- Haemorrhoids, Cystitis
- Reduces swelling in feet and ankles
- Lower Back Pain, Pelvic Pain, Sciatica, Symphysis Pubis Diastasis
- Carpel Tunnel Syndrome, Leg Cramps and Restless Legs
- Boost energy levels, preventing fatigue which is common in the 1st and 3rd trimesters
- Alleviates Stress, Tension and Anxiety
- A natural way to reduce headaches and improve sinus conditions
- Promotes better quality sleep
- It prepares the body for labour by encouraging the body into balance including the endocrine system which plays an important role in labour.
- It creates a feeling of well-being in the mother which transfer to the baby.
- Reflexology may reduce the occurrence of gestational diabetes if started by the 15th Week.
Benefits of Reflexology during Labour
Reflexology can be given during labour to the expectant mother to boost energy levels, aid relaxation and promotes calmness in the mother which is automatically transferred to the baby. Research has shown it can shorten the labour phase of the birthing process and promote calmness in the mother during pregnancy which in turn encourages calmness in the baby. Babies born to mothers who received reflexology during their pregnancy have reported that their babies are calmer, less digestive problems (colic and constipation), suckle better and sleep better through the night. Reflexology can manage labour pain by boosting endorphins in the body. Endorphins are considered the body’s natural pain relievers. Several small studies carried out in the U.K have shown that women who have reflexology during labour have lessened the need for pain relief.
Reflexology is contra indicated in women with any of the following conditions:
- Threat of Miscarriage
- Vaginal Bleeding
- Pre-Eclampsia and Eclampsia
- A History of Blood Clotting/Warfarin
- Unstable Diabetes
- Deep Vein Thrombosis
- Placenta Praevia
- Placental Separation
- Please inform your therapist if you may be pregnant
- Reflexology can be combined with Acupuncture to enhance the results.
- Reflexology is recommended to mothers to be after the 16th week of pregnancy or first scan
- It is important to ensure your Health Care team is informed that you are having reflexology e.g. G.P, Mid-Wife and Obstetrician
Maternity Reflexology is a wonderfully supported treatment for mothers to be. It provides physical, mental and emotional support to enhance your well-being during this special time. If you are interested in finding out more don’t hesitate to contact us
Post by Pauline Mc Cormack
Disclaimer: Please note that this post is for information purposes only. This information at no point should be used in place of seeking official advice from a qualified medical doctor.